Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Late Pass Music Brief: Jade Harrell's "Class Reject"


I gotta admit that sometimes I judge by the cover. In a positive way. A close examination of wording and images has often led me to thoroughly enjoyable entertainment that I would've never known about if I hadn't been nosy.

Jade Harrell's "Class Reject," released this summer, is the latest Exhibit A for me in this line of thinking. Her CD caught my eye in the urban section of my local Christian bookstore. Her punky hair, Day-Glo clothing and the title's defiant nod to not fitting into the norm stood out with panache.

I was not disappointed by dropping my cash on her album. "Class Reject" is a light-hearted, pop-leaning concoction of dance and rock, with reggae and even a retro R&B moment. Harrell's willingness to bend genres to her versatile alto is enjoyable.

My Top Tracks:
  • Into the Music: Futuristic escapism at its best.
  • Me and My Radio: Worship: No club, DJ needed.
  • Who Are You: Empowerment celebrated, with Ayiesha Woods.
  • The Unseen: Stay faithful; don't line-walk.
  • Don't Leave: Praise clothed in 60's soul.
  • You and I: Crazy in love with Christ.

0 comments: