Sunday, April 26, 2009

A Heavy Learning Experience

I haven't mentioned, but I found out on April 8 that I'm getting laid off from my job. My last day in the office is Thursday this coming week. I wasn't really surprised that this happened, for a variety of reasons, but the news was still surprising.

Though this is not the best news, I have seen God move firsthand in what has happened after that announcement. Most notably is the amount of support I've received from my soon-to-be former coworkers.

I am not an extroverted person by any means, and when I go to work, my cubicle is just about like a fortress of solitude. I go in at 8:30, do my work, grab some lunch to eat at my desk, and leave at 4:00. Because of this loner tendency of mine, I have not had a great wealth of meaningful interaction with my coworkers on a social level.

But despite this, many people have approached me to offer condolences for the loss of the job, as well as to put out feelers for me for work. Others have offered to serve as references for me as I need them. Others still have pledged to connect to me on the business social networking site, LinkedIn. I never imagined that so much help and love was out there for me!

I have thanked each individual, but I want to say another big THANK YOU on this page. God's mercy and love has truly been acted out through my coworkers.

I realize now that I've missed out on a lot by walling myself off away from others. I pray that I will gain more comfort in reaching out to others, so I can begin to repay some of what God has shown me in the past few weeks.

0 comments: