Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Interesting Post: Where Do You Hide God?

Saw this on GODSurfer. Nathan, writer for the blog Living Kingdom, asks us to consider whether we are being forthcoming about being followers of Christ and, if not, why we think this is:

"Why do a lot of Christians hide in the shadows? I do believe that we need to be cautious because we don't want to turn people away from us by being loud and obnoxious in our faith. We don't want to be condemning of other peoples lifestyles or choices. God loves all of us no matter where we're at on the journey to eternity. Here's the thing, if there are other Christians that work in my office, I don't know them for being believers; just as they don't know me as being a believer. Like I said earlier, I don't deny my Christ directly; however I do deny him through omission; and to quote my wife, "a lie by omission is still a lie." When the subject of church or religion comes up I may say something cliche but then I quickly and uncomfortably change the subject. It seems ok for me to admit that I go to church but anything beyond that is taboo." (Check out his blog for the rest of the article.)


This is good food for thought. I can say for myself that I'm typically an introverted person and don't share much about myself willingly, so going into great detail about my faith, solicited or not, would feel awkward. I am, at something less than a snail's pace, shedding some of the shyness I have by adhering to "let go and let God," but there's still work to be done. Is something holding you back, too? Take a moment to consider what it would take for you to come out of the shadows for Jesus. And let's pray that we can become as bold as God needs us to be.

0 comments: