Saturday, October 11, 2008

Lecrae's Rebel Makes Holy Hip-Hop History!



Pencil Lecrae's latest, Rebel, into the history books as the first holy hip-hop album to top the Billboard Top Gospel chart. The album is also #3 on iTunes hip-hop albums list, and #60 on Billboard's Top 200 of all music, besting secular acts like Tina Turner, LL Cool J, and Raphael Saadiq, according to Gospelflava.com. Congrats to Lecrae! Check back in a few days for my review of this album.

UPDATE: Lecrae's response to the love Rebel is receiving, from his MySpace page:
"Sup yall! The album dropped and I must say that I'm blown away at the response. I find it very encouraging that we didn't take the route of trying to minimize and cover up the message of the Gospel, but instead made it very blunt and plain and still God did more than we could have imagined in the first week." 
He's asking listeners to comment on what they have gotten from the album--"Not 'I like the beats' or 'I love that song' but how are you encouraged, challenged, edified, or convicted."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

hip hop gospel is here to stay i am happy to see that it is finding its place alongside "regular" gospel! go Lecrae!!! I love that album, it's good preaching and good music!!!!

INTELBLKMN said...

His new CD is bangin'

Anonymous said...

I agree holy hip-hop is here to stay! It has finally broke through and is taking people by storm. If you are a fan of Lecrae, you should check out this artist called Tre The Third. He's starting to get some buzz from the genre. He has a MySpace where you can listen to his stuff. www.myspace.com/trethethird.

God Bless!

Roboxo said...

The album challenged me to live for God and not waste time with them earthly pleasures.Going hard for Christ knowing that im not the only one in this battle against temptation to sin but as believers we are supposed to stand together n "Rep" His name.Go Lecrae

Martinez915 said...

Hey whats up man I just want to say is that your music helped me to realize that Im not the only one and that no matter what you should never give up on Christ. And your song praying for you really opened my eyes and let me know that God will always be there and will never leave your side. and Christ said it wouldnt be easy but it would be worth it. God Bless you man and thank you.

Martinez915 said...

I really liked how you laid the tuth about the gospel down no matter what, and because you did that that encourged me to do the same, and so I have. Thanks man and God Bless