Friday, May 15, 2009

It's Friday, You Ain't Got No Job...

I came a realization today as I was driving home from time at the career center and a trip to the mall: I didn't have any need to rush. To paraphrase the clean 2/3 of one of Chris Tucker's lines from the movie "Friday," "It's Friday, I ain't got no job..." Why not take it slow? And why not take it slow beyond Friday?

I have been a lead-footed lady up until now. I love to drive, and I loved to drive fast. But really, what's the point? I was always putting myself on a timer when I had a 9-to-5, even when I didn't need to go to work. But really, my only true responsibility now is picking up my son from daycare. So, to repeat, no need to rush.

Today this seemed like an area in my life in which I needed to really let go and let God. Maybe it made me feel in control to go zipping down the left-hand lane, like I had some say in when I was going to get to my destination. But ultimately, it's not my doing. To turn around a popular bumper sticker, I am God's co-pilot in that car, albeit a super-junior co-pilot with a teeny, tiny set of inconsequential tasks.

And you know what? Shifting to the middle lane felt good. I felt less tense, less angry. I came across the scripture from the first chapter of James instructing believers to keep their emotions in check ("Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, for man's anger does not bring about the righteous life that God desires"), and I think I finally understand one component of this.

It may sound strange to say it, but I have found a lot of blessings in being laid off. I thank God for revealing this message to me.

0 comments: