Saturday, May 23, 2009

Lessons Learned in the Garden

I'm in my second year of having a vegetable garden, and something that never ceases to amaze me is how the pea plants help each other to thrive.

Starting out as a small melange of leaves, pea plants grow into tall, fragile vines. These vines can flop over to the ground if they are not supported with stakes.

Though the vines do need a stronger support, they also attempt to help each other out. The vines have tiny tendrils that stream from the stems. Tendrils on several plants often intertwine to give each other a tenuous form of support.

When I think of the pea plants, I think of how we try to remedy problems in our lives without the Lord. We look for support in different places--we talk with friends and family on the positive tip, but people also attempt to cope negatively with drugs, sex and food, to name a few destructive strategies.

Ultimately, however, the strongest support we can obtain is from God. One of the first--and best--comforting Bible passages I've found comes from Isaiah 40 (verses 28-31, ) and illustrates the effectiveness of God's support quite clearly:

Have you not known? Have you not heard?
The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth.
He does not faint or grow weary; his understanding is unsearchable.
He gives power to the faint, and strengthens the powerless.
Even youths will faint and be weary, and the young will fall exhausted;
But those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength,
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint.

Unlike our friends, God never tires. Unlike the sad reality for those who abuse intoxicating substances in an attempt to find peace, God's ability to heal never diminishes. In fact, not only can God heal us, but he can also strengthen us.

I thank God for placing me in meditation on the fragile pea plant. I now have a great image for ensuring I always consider the Lord first for help. Like the dowels in my garden, there's no one better for strong support.

0 comments: