Saturday, May 16, 2009

Thoughts on the Ambassador Situation


The Christian blogosphere was lively yesterday with news of Cross Movement Records' statement on The Ambassador's "marital compromise." (Read the official word from CMR president/CEO John Wells here.)

This is truly sad news. My 2 cents is that I hope Ambassador and his family are shutting out the rest of the world and taking the time they need to sort through everything.

Marriage is no joke. The challenges are real when it comes to funneling the unique thoughts of two individuals into one course of action and straining out unproductive personal wants in the process. I had my fifth anniversary last year and, though I'm blessed to say that there is no physical or verbal abuse going on in my union, my husband and I do have issues from time to time, like any married couple.

The thing I'm most proud of with my marriage is the fact that we don't give up on talking. There may be things I'm hesitant to share (and I'm sure the same goes for hubby), but I do eventually share everything with my husband, good and bad, because I know it makes us stronger as a couple and as individuals. And I know I couldn't really hide something important from someone I love as much as him.

I don't know the situation in Ambassador's marriage, and I won't begin to speculate. I don't think it's our business to know the gory details anyway. But what I would say to any couple with issues as big as infidelity or as small as which way the toilet paper should hang on the spool is to keep on talking.

If you haven't had an open dialogue before now, try to find a way to start. Don't rule out counseling by your pastor or a professional; counselors are excellent moderators in times of marital strife. Their neutrality could bring you and your spouse to new depths of understanding.

CMR may not be actively promoting Ambassador at this time, but I don't think we should drop him and his family from our hearts and minds. Put your prayers out there for the clan.

A final thought: When I heard the news, one of the things that popped into my mind was the song "Baby U Don't Luv Me," by Mark J. He gives a lot of encouragement for couples to find a way to work things out, even sharing strife he had in his own marriage, comparing tense times to an Ali/Frazier fight (but not on a physical level). If you haven't already heard this song, take a listen on his MySpace page. (But really, if you don't have the album, pick it up! The whole thing's fuego. Take my word for it.) Also, share the song with anyone you know who's going through it right now.

2 comments:

DTurn said...

Much prayer is needed.

DJ Wade-O said...

This is probably one of the best commentaries I have read on that situation. My heart really goes out to Duce and his wife as well as the young lady, her family, Epiphany Fellowship and CMR.

You are right...marriage is not a game. Communication and committment thru and thru is paramount.